Wednesday, August 8, 2007

All good things come to an end, my 15 weeks are up




So right now I am sitting on the cold hard floor in the Frankfurt airport (all the seats at the gate are taken) and it’s a million o’clock in the morning. I didn’t have time to update the blog after the massive Greek entry so here goes.

A day and a half after I got back from Greece I was whisked off to the North Coast for a last weekend at the beach, Sahel to be precise. It was hot sun, white sand and crazy waves. There was one point when I got caught in a breaking wave and got tossed and tumbled into the Red Sea. Lucky for me there were no rocks there. But really it just adds to the fun and games of the day.



The beaches were once again populated with Cairo’s wealthy and beautiful youth. Music blasted from competing stereos and Heinekens were ever present. Any ideas you may have had about the Middle East and drinking do not pertain to this crowd.


Generally I found that the higher up people are on the socio-economic totem pole, the more ‘westernized’ they are.

But I digress.

After beaching for a few days we headed back to Cairo late in the evening. But the weekend wasn’t over, so a night a La Bodega, a popular bar in Cairo for locals and visitors, was in order.




Now I know you are all wondering how I could have gone to Egypt for 15 weeks and not have visited the pyramids of Giza. But don’t be silly, I just saved them for last, so I would have a good closer to the Egypt and beyond era of the blog.



Monday was the day dedicated to the pyramids and one last trip to Khan Khalili. And yes we did ride camels, which my cousin Dina is still cursing me for as I type this.



But let me tell you a little something about riding a camel.....

It’s REALLY scary when you are sitting on one and he goes to sit down so you can get off to take pictures or what have you. You feel like you are about to fall flat on your face down the camel’s neck, and then if you manage to hold on, and he puts his back legs down you feel like you are going to slide off and land smack on you butt at his butt.




So, yes a few little shrieks of fright did pass my lips as those moments occurred. Camels are funny beings though, they always look like they have been smoking something they shouldn’t and smile at you with a dopey grin….even when they are passing wind. And yes they did that several times. It was a sound I could have lived my life without hearing and been just fine. This is one time I will skip the details for you.




So after a day of camel riding and pyramid browsing we headed back for dinner at my Grandma’s….we were very late, camels are also very slow animals so the pyramids took far longer than expected. As well our ‘guide’ took us through the back way, it was all very scandalous, but being Egyptian has its benefits in Egypt I guess.

So after dinner a quick jaunt over to the markets was in order to pick up the final gifts and trinkets of the trip. I still get such a kick out of the Khan. There are all sorts of spices drifting through the market and lots of shimmer and shine to catch your eye.

All in all, a good fun and tiring day.

So now I am still sitting on the cold hard floor in the Frankfurt airport with a bit of time (five long hours) to reflect on the 15 week trip that has brought me into four countries and through parts of Egypt I had yet to see.

Things I will miss:

My aunt Suzy, Cuz Dina, Uncle Hassan, and of course my Nana (grandma)
The Egyptian hospitality
The people I met and really liked (throughout my travels)
The fruit, seriously, it’s amazing
The beaches

Things I am excited to go home to:

Everyone I love
My bike
Coffee with soy milk and honey
Trinity Bellwoods Park
Reading my newspaper in the morning on my rooftop


I am sure there are lots more that go in both categories but I am delirious from no sleep, so see you in Toronto.

No comments: