Monday, July 21, 2008

Hvar and an idiot or two...


Our trip to Hvar has just ended and as before I am sitting on the ferry, this time on the way to Split for the day and then off to Trogir. As I thought Hvar was my favourite stop as of yet.
When we arrived at our apartment, which was very cute and had a fantastic balcony with an even better view, we were greeted by the owner of the building, who was a jolly man who slightly reminded me of Santa Claus, with a shorter beard and sans Santa suit, actually I only ever saw in him swim trunks and flip flips.

He kindly showed us the apartment and introduced us to his gigantic but adorable dog, which I nicknamed Bear. He told us we might find Bear lying in front of the door leading up to our apartment, but to just step over him and not push him out of the way, because Bear might think we didn’t love him.

Hvar was beautiful, the architecture was the same as Dubrovnik and Korcula; so we decided to spend our time here just lollygagging around (I love that word). The first day we found a nice spot on the rock beds and swam as much as we could.

Later I went for a stroll and picked up a few beers and snacks for us. Seriously there are few things that are better than beer, sun and swimming all wrapped up together.


On a side note, one of the things I like to do that I just noticed on this trip is look at the books people are reading to see what language they speak. It boggles my mind how many people are still reading The Divinci Code, hasn’t that fad died already???

Later on we picked up some red wine, proscuitto, fruit, cheese etc. and I made us a splendid batch of sangria and we dined and drank on the balcony of our apartment.


The next day we hiked down (oh yeah our apartment as a bit removed from the core of Hvar, so it was always a hike to and fro everywhere, coming home was uphill, and after a day in the sun, it was work!) to beach and jumped on a little wee boat so I could dive and Jen, Mona and Joyce could snorkel.

The dive was kinda funny, as I was the only girl, the dive guide was also an old German man who was missing a few teeth and the ones he did have were crooked and brown, and he didn’t speak a lick of English or any other language for that matter.

The best was he was smoking as he helped us suit up. I was going to point out that may not be the best idea since we had seven tanks of compressed oxygen next to his cigarette, but he wouldn’t have understood me anyway, c’est la vie.

The dive was nice, relaxing, but not too much to see in terms of aquatic life, we did however venture into a TINY and dark cave, that only two people could fit in at a time that was pretty cool, because if you looked up with your torch you could see air pockets. Oh and I lost one of my fins during the coldest part of the dive (I was in two vey thick wetsuits) I was quick and managed catch it and slip it back on.

That evening we went to Luna for dinner, which was by far the best restaurant we have been to in Croatia, the food has been pretty unremarkable in the restaurants, so this was a treat…clams in white wine with linguini☺



So we decided to hit the local hot spot, Carpe Diem that night since we had been pretty chill in our evenings. Let me tell you they most certainly were not seizing the day in terms of music. I want someone to tell me WHY in so many European clubs they are still playing shitty house music! There is so much good music out there, why do we need to be inundated with shite! But we made it fun anyway.

Yesterday was our last day, and after a leisurely morning we decided to check out Pakleni Island. If you ever make it to Hvar go to Pakleni Island. It is amazingly beautiful. The water is crystal clear, the beach is serene and the sun is pounding. Oh but if you are a bit bashful you might be in for a sight. It’s a nudist beach.



And let me tell you I got more than an eyeful of people old and young, and when I say old, I mean old. But it is the beach, so why not. Fancy that, the best beach in Croatia is nudist beach. Go figure.

Oh and one last thing, it amazes me how much white people with dreads still annoys the piss out of me. I always want to walk up to them and chop them all off their heads and tell them they look like idiots.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a very lucky young lady!

Ever been to my blog?
http://sultanpeppaspawnshop.blogspot.com/

Luv ya!