Sunday, May 6, 2007

All Good Things Are In Heaven....

Hello again. It’s been a little while since I last popped in to update. The problem is my aunt has dial up, and it takes a while to get from page to page, so I feel guilty tying up the phone lines to check email, update the blog and read the news. So I haven’t been doing much of any of it. It’s strange not having access to reading a daily paper, but they are hooking up DSL this week, so I am not too concerned. So on to the good stuff….On Thursday night I went with my aunt Nadia, to my dad’s cousin’s son’s wedding (took me a bit to get my head around that one too!).

It was not like any wedding I have been to before. The women were decked out in crazy evening dresses (nothing I had was appropriate so I had to borrow a dress from my cousin) and more diamonds than a Hollywood award show, and no I am not exaggerating. It was insane, bling everywhere! Weddings are pretty serious here, they had cameras on cranes, huge video screens so you could watch the wedding movie as it was happening, chocolate fountains, you name it, they had it! The best part of the wedding was when the bride and groom arrived at the reception and were greeted by Egyptian drummers, and belly dancers, some even wore HUGE candelabras on their heads.









The day after the wedding my aunt Nadia and I went to Khan Khalili aka the most amazing bazaar in the world. There is so much to see and photograph there, which I did. It was a lot of fun, especially the bargaining. It’s a bit of a game. They tell you a price you haggle them down a bit, they make a big deal and then you say “Ashan Khatry.” Which means “For my sake,” like you are close friends and they are making a special deal just for you. And if all else fails, you walk away, go to a vendor a few doors down, and then when you walk out they (usually) find you and say “Ok, Ashan Khatrik.” This means “Ok, for your sake.”

















But word to the wise, be careful what you wish for, the day we went to the bazaar was 39°C!

3 comments:

Hza said...

dude, 39?! I need that in my life right now. The days are sunny right now, but the temp is not up to par. Wow. I love weddings. They're so much fun, on top of just visually stunning. That must have been a great time. Love that opening shot...

Lily said...

Looks amazing.
I'm really happy you're having such a good time.
Keep the pictures coming, it makes the vicarious living alot easier.
miss ya, lady.
Love lil.
xoxoxox

Lily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.