Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Street Walker....



There are some pretty amazing things that happen on the streets here. I went out with my aunt Suzy to walk around Heliopolis (an area of Cairo). And we came across a man weaving a chair. I asked him if I could take his picture, and he looked at me like I was crazy and said something to the effect of 'Why? I am not doing anything special, but go ahead if you want."



I thought it was something special so I did. Along this walk we also saw hand woven baskets and all sorts of things for sale on the street. By the way, I love street vendors, which maybe why I like to going to Khan Khalili (the bazaar) so much



Another day, cousin Dina and I went to the Cairo museum, hung out with Ramses and King Tut, ogled their gold and stared with an astonished glaze over my eyes at the craftsmanship of the furniture jewelry and other artifacts. I will be going back, because there is too much to take in one day. But, alas you are not allowed cameras inside, too bad because I would have loved to show you all what a mummified baboon looks like!







After the museum we went to my grandma's apartment, where she has a spectacular view of the Nile, but unfortunately they are building a huge, ready for this, condominium building in front of her apartment, so the view from her bedroom will soon be concrete instead of water. But luckily the side balcony still has a good view, so all is not lost.





Oh, I just wanted to let you all in on one of my favourite things about being here, the flowers. We went to a bar a few nights ago and they had troughs in the table full of rose petals.



When you are stuck in traffic men approach your car selling little packets of tissues and random things. But the absolute best ting is the jasmine necklaces, and when my sister and I were kids we would ALWAYS make our parents buy them for us. They smell better than any designer perfume out there.















1 comment:

Jenny said...

oh please. that jasmine necklace shot is really just a thinly veiled boob shot.

miss ya!