Monday, June 11, 2007

Jenny Yang, you are my hero.



I realize I have been slacking in the update of my blog as of late, but as it may surprise some of you for various reasons, I didn't really have much to say. But I am back now, and marking the date of two months in the Middle East. Impressive isn't it?

I have been becoming a little more familiar with life here in Cairo. On the weekends people go to weddings, I have been to five so far(tonight will make six)....and counting! Seriously it's nuts I have been to more weddings in the weeks I have been here than I have in the last five years, or more.




My week days, which by the way are from Sunday to Thursday here, are pretty tame. Sometimes I just walk around and explore, or go to the bazaar, or hang out and work in my new favourite café/bookstore, called 'Diwan.' Thank you cousin Mona for telling me about it!

A lot of the times it's too hot to do much, especially because it is not appropriate to wear things like shorts, tanks and little dresses. And speaking from experience, jeans in 42ºC weather is a cruel joke. But, I admit, a few days ago I did get a little rebellious and take my light jacket off and walk around in a tank top. And yes I got lots of dirty looks and looks of bewilderment, but it was really hot. Sorry mom.

I still stare in amazement at women who are fully covered from head to foot in black burkas, some in gloves and multiple layers of clothing. I can't figure out how they can stand it. But one young man assured me it doesn't bother them, and by the grace of God they don't feel the heat.

I asked how he knew that, he told me he just knew. Sounds about right considering he was in a nice light t-shirt and cotton pants.

So a few nights ago my Canadian friend, Tammy, and I decided to go see Ocean's 13 at the movies. It was like being in a time warp, but in a cool way. First off when you get there, you don't just buy your ticket and walk in, nope you have to look at the seating chart and pick where you want to sit. Then a bowtie clad, flashlight wielding USHER brings you to your respected seat. But I haven't even got to the strangest part....there is an intermission half way through the film!

And the concession stand serves popcorn from an old popcorn cart, tea and Turkish coffee in ceramic cups, etc. It is quite the experience and I highly recommend it. But just so you know the films are 'edited' for content.



Yesterday night was also another adventure for the books. Dina, my cousin, her friend Mado, and I went to the Citadel for an evening concert. It was pretty amazing to be at such a historic spot listening to Arabic music. People from all over and all different socio-economic backgrounds were there, which made it even better. It was a full band, and a full show, complete with multiple belly dancers, Sufi dancers, and entertaining singers. The crowd was going nutso bananas!





Other than that, I have gone to a few fantastic beaches, Ein Sukhna (The Hot Eye) is incredible and only an hour from Cairo. The sand is white, the sun is hot and the water is crystal clear, aka it's paradise. And there is a really good seafood retaurant there too, called Bouillabaisse!



Tammy took off to Alexandria to take a TOFEL course, so I think I might go visit her and go to the beach for a weekend soon. It's very odd having no set plans, very odd indeed!

I am working on my Arabic, but my God this is a hard language to wrap your mouth around, literally. Coming from a Latin based language, it is really difficult to make my mouth and throat work together to make sounds needed to speak Arabic properly. So people laugh at me a lot, oh and they LOVE to make fun of my Canadian pronunciation of words like "out," "house," "about," "south," or anything with a long "O." To tell the truth, I think they are all just jealous!!


And as always check out the mélange of pics.
I have added a whack load!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cairocaroline/

1 comment:

Lily said...

You look amazing and I'm so happy you're having such a good time..
It's pride week here and I'm missing you more than ever. I didn't even go to Big Primpin' cause you weren't here.
mwah.
missing you.
L
xx