Thursday, July 12, 2007

Adventures on Foot



I know, I know, I stay away for a while then I blog for two consecutive days. I never said consistency was a strong point.

So anyway, on the topic of finding your own adventures yesterday I decided to visit the Citadel, which I haven’t been to in seven years, unless you count the night we went to the concert, but I don’t.

It is an amazing building. The domes, the minarets, and the alabaster façade of the entire mosque, are all fantastic. I spent about an hour and a bit there, just wandering about, snapping pictures, etc. When I finally went inside, I had to put on a nice big satin-type green cloak, as a sign of respect so as not to show any skin.



But inside the mosque was brilliant. The circles of lights were my favourite part, which you will be able to see from the sheer volume of pictures I shot.



When I was done at the Citadel I still felt like wandering about, so I took to the streets. It was a pretty fun little adventure, and an adventure it was!

As I was walking across the street a small white pick-up truck saw me and sped in my direction. I literally had to jump up and out of the way on to the curb. And I was not a second too soon, the thing almost rammed my foot as I jumped. When I turned to look at the driver he looked out the window, grinned and gave me the thumbs up sign, like I had passed some test.

But some of the other locals were a bit friendlier, and some weren’t. I met some women selling fruit on the side of the road. One asked me for water, so I filled her bottle from mine, and in return she let me take her picture. They all became enamored with the camera and asked me to keep taking their pictures, which I did. It was pretty funny.



After I got away from the fruit ladies I ventured on, and met the olive man, and snapped a few pics.



Before I walked on, he told me I should take some pictures of another man selling fruit.

When I turned around to see the man he was talking about, I was greeted by a man wielding a chair and threatening to beat me with it if I took his picture. The olive man was yelling (and laughing) “She’s Egyptian!!” It was funny to me even then.

So after a little bit more wandering about, it was time to go, so I hailed a cab. Word to the wise, while in Cairo always keep your eyes open. You never know what you are going to see. Look closely at the next picture, the driver wasn't wearing any shoes.



**oh, and in case it isn't obvisous, the links are to the pictures.**

No comments: