Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Bread Man Wins




So I think Egypt is rubbing off on me. Well, in certain ways. I am a bit tardy on this post, obviously today is not June 30th, which is when I had intended on updating the blog. But c'est la vie.

So the bday was lots of fun, and really how could it not be, two days of sunning, swimming, celebrating and being treated like royalty. We stayed at a summer home of Dina's friends, and they had someone there to cook for us, etc. It was surreal, I am not used to that kind of treatment, but I did let myself enjoy it for the weekend.

We even had a nice bottle of Moët for my champagne bday, and a surprise bday cake. And yes they got me the candles that keep relighting. It was all fun and games.



But weekends in the sun eventually have to end. So Back in Cairo I have been doing much the same as before, wandering about the streets, most often aimlessly.

It's funny when you travel half way around the world, you expect life to be completely different. But it’s just not the case. People wake up in the morning, go to work, come home have dinner with the family, hang around drink tea, watch TV etc. I admit to being a bit naïve, I was expecting adventure and mystery at every turn. But Egyptians, which I am one of them, are normal people. Surprise!

But on another note, it is pretty easy to find adventure here, and you don’t even have to look that hard. A few days ago I hopped into one of the tiger attacked taxis, and as we were leisurely (aka sweating our faces off) driving down my grandmother’s street, a man carrying a load of bread dropped a loaf.

Now before I continue this little story I have to tell you how bread is transported around the city. A young man carries a large wooden skid on his head while riding a bike. Not a very easy task; especially that the bikes are in pretty rough shape.

So, my taxi driver slowed, not stopped but slowed, the car down, opened his door and scooped up the lost loaf. He then began beeping his horn and drove up to the bread man. He informed him he dropped a loaf and tried to pass it to him through the passenger window of the moving car.

I was sitting in the back the whole time wondering if all this was actually happening. The poor bread man could not grab the loaf, keep his bread on his head steady and keep riding. So he told the driver to keep it and eat it. But this is not the end.

The driver then instructed the bread man to ride over to the driver’s side of the car and he would put it on his load for him…..while driving.

So the bread man does as he is told, and Mr. Taxi Man opens his car door, stands up, yes the car is still moving, and places the loaf on the top of bread man’s head. Quite the spectacle I must say! I only wish I had the pictures to show you all. But I was too in awe to pull out the camera. But here is another bread man so you can see what I am talking about.Sorry it's blurry, but he was moving and I was in a taxi.

No comments: