Sunday, July 15, 2007

Trains, Taxis, Minibuses, Buses, Taxis and Trains



Well, I just got back from a little weekend trip in Alexandria, well Alexandria was the drop off point because I was never actually in Alexandria except to get on and off the train.

So the point of this little trip was to go visit Tammy and go to the beach. So after I got to Alex, we are close enough that I can shorten its name, I jumped in a cab and went to Agami.

Agami is a beach town outside Alex that I used to go to as a kid. It was, as Sahel is now, the place to be. Now it has sort of lost its glitz, but the beach is still good to me. But this story is not all beach and fun times; we had some funny ups and downs.

When I got to Agami Tammy told me the next day we were to wake early in the morning to jump on a minibus at 7 a.m. to Marsa Matrouh.

Marsa Matrouh is a brilliant beach. I also went there when I was about 13, so I was willing to ride in the uncomfortable minibus for 3 hours.

Well 5 hours later we got to our 'hotel,' oh yeah we were supposed to spend the night. Before I go on please have a look at the view from the hotel room.



Pretty isn't it?!

So back to my little story, we got there at noon and were told to wait in the room for 2 hours while the trip organizer went to find food. Tammy, myself, and the others, were not having this.

So we left to find the beach.......Only this wasn't the Marsa Matrouh I had been to before. They brought us to a public beach, which here in Egypt is a big bad, uh uh no way!

The problem with public beaches is that we 5 ladies were the only ones wearing Westernized bathing suits. All the other women were swimming, if they swam, were in head scarves and full clothing.

Now picture the stares we got.
Ok, now picture the stares I got, being obviously Egyptian.

This was not the relaxing day at the beach we had pictured or paid for. So, after a few arguments and with the trip organizer, we decided to cut our loses.

When the sun started to go down, we hit the road.

The ride back was much more comfortable, the big bus was pretty empty, and it was only 3 hours, fancy that!




Oh and we got a ride in a pretty funked out cab:



The next day was more like it. A private beach in Agami, which basically means young people in their bathing suits enjoying a day at the beach. The waves were amazing, and the sun was hot. So all is well that ends well.



Well this may be the last blog for a while with pictures. I am off to Greece in the morning, so I won't have my trusty 8 million pound laptop with me to dump the pics on. I will try and update during my travels. But do forgive me if the white sands, blue waters and cold drinks in the Greek Islands keep me away from any computer at all!

Oh and did I mention I HATE packing?! Yeah, I know, poor baby.

No comments: